After passing the 3V0-624 (VCAP 6.5 Design) I want to pursuit the VCIX6-DCV certification, so the next exam I need to take is the 3V0-623 VMware Certified Advanced Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Deployment Exam. Since the design exam has been upgraded to vSphere 6.5, I went to the VMware Education booth at VMworld to ask if they knew if the deploy exam is stil based on 6.0. And it should still be. VMware Education could not tell me if it will be upgraded, and if so, when. But it shouldn’t happen anytime soon. So I need to prepare with the 6.0 version of vSphere. Sadly no HTML 5 client…
I did get some pointers on the exam:
- It is based on the hands on labs, but the Control, Alt and Backspace keys are disabled. This means that you can’t use the MKS client, since you can’t release the focus of the window with CTRL+ALT, use the web console!
- You can go back and forth between questions.
- Even questions that you can’t complete, will be scored on the parts you did manage.
- Scoring is done by a script that simply checks if settings are as desired, a sort of desired state configuration check.
- Deploying the lab environment will take some time, use this time to setup the screen size of the controls.
- vCenter will take even longer to come online, use this time to enable SSH on the ESXi hosts.
- It’s a single lab environment during the entire exam, so if you come up with an answer to a previous question, you didn’t manage earlier, you are always able to answer it.
- The allotted time still is an issue, there is simply not enough time to comfortable answer each question.
- Screwing up the ESXi host networking is less likely, since the automatic revert of settings if the host becomes isolated. I’ve read that this occurred to some in the 5.x edition of the exam.
- PowerCli should be available, for me this is important since I use it allot.
- Use Hands on Labs. Not only to get a feel for the exam environment, but to get proficient with the tasks that you may not do on a daily basis.
- I don’t have a list of HoLs just yet. I haven’t really started with my studies, but wanted to document the points from VMware Education, before I forget them.
Read the Exam Guide and the Platform Interface guide.
There still is no official Certification Guide from VMware Press like there was for 5.x, nor will there be anytime soon. But there is an unofficial ‘VMware Certified Advanced Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Deployment Exam Preparation Guide’ written by Ramy Mahmoud. I haven’t been able to read it, but judging by the first few pages, it should be awesome.